Happy Birthday Mark!

I had finished filling up my UPU form and I bertawakal to Him. Whatever I get for my degree course, it will be the best for me. Aamiin.

When you don't want to find fan art because of copyright issues.

But, that's not what I am going to talk about.

Mark's birthday was few days ago and he posted a vlog about him reacting to his old videos. At the end of that vlog, he asked his audience the reason why we all subscribe to him in the first place. And I knew I can't write it in a comment section. I had to write it here.

My brother watched Markiplier when my family and I lived in United States. I had watched a few of them, possibly, but I never really felt any interest. At June 2013, my family and I moved back to our country, Malaysia, and Mark started to post his Let's Plays on The Last of Us.

The Last of Us Let's Plays were my first videos I watched from him, fully, and without looking over at my brother's back. It was the time of the TellTale games of The Walking Dead Season 1 and I had just finished watching Tobias (Toby Games), another Youtuber, played it. I was so into the story and frankly, I wanted more. So, my brother recommended me to Mark playing the Last of Us.

I wasn't enticed at first to subscribe to him or anything.  I was very picky to subscribe to anybody. I mean, the reason why I visited his channel were just for his Last of Us Let's Play and I wasn't interested on how he played the game or his comments were. I was more interested in the story. I needed more reason than that to subscribe to him.

The year of 2013 was a hard year for me. I was fifteen and full of teen's angst. It was hard for me to accept the fact that I move, quiet suddenly, and to repeat the process of 'getting use to the environment' was difficult. I wanted more of what I had lost. I explored his channel because I wanted to gain back what I had vanished when I moved to my country. I wanted that American accent, the American weird but unique attitudes, the American views and ideas. Basically, I wanted to be in United States and if I can't do it physically, why can't I do it through the internet?

Markiplier was my bridge to the world that I had lost.

I watched his Random Horror Compilations. A lot of them and over and over again. It was the curiosity that let me stumbled to his Draw his Life vid. And I started to know the guy behind Markiplier. I started to know his dreams and his values. And I was so inspired by what he hold for. And I wrote about him in my other blog that I run and after I finished writing it, I subscribed to him. A caution though, if you read my old blog, I was young and please forgive my mistakes, grammar or otherwise.

Mark, it wasn't your Let's Plays, your funny compilations, your game-plays that led me to subscribe to you. It was you, yourself.

I watched him more and more. I waited for him to play first any new games that was released even though I know I will get frustrated in the end because he missed some things in the game (Sorry, Mark, but still, I prefer you than the others). I watched his short and funny videos and the heartwarming vlogs. My respect towards him grew. He was that humble guy that was so honest and ambitious. He inspired thousands and he gave smiles and laughter to the world that needed it.

In the end, he didn't become my bridge to the world that I had lost. Instead, he gave me something better. He gave me something to hope for.

I knew the why behind your subscribe button. I thought by subscribing to you will give me back what I had lost. No, Mark, I subscribe to you because you are truly an amazing person and you make others around you amazing too.

Happy Birthday, Mark.
Thank you for everything.

Swiftly Estel-ing.

Comments